Office of Global Engagement
International Students and Scholars

Employment in the U.S. is highly regulated by immigration and employment law and regulations, and it can often be confusing for students in F-1 status to navigate the regulatory limitations. It is essential that when a student is considering paid or unpaid employment or volunteer positions that they be familiar with the rules and contact OISSS with any questions. F-1 students MUST ensure that they have the appropriate work authorization prior to pursuing any employment activity, paid or unpaid. 

U.S. immigration regulations define Curricular Practical Training (CPT) as authorized off-campus employment which is an integral or required part of your curriculum and course of study.
OPT is employment authorization designed to provide you with an opportunity to gain practical experience in your field of study, complementing your academic work.