Office of Global Engagement
International Students and Scholars

Students in valid F-1 status are allowed to work on-campus up to 20 hours per week during the academic semester and over 20 hours per week during the summer and winter breaks (provided that the student is a continuing student/has not graduated). No specific employment authorization is needed.

On-Campus = Paid by Brown

In order for employment to qualify as on-campus employment Brown must be the employer. Professors hiring as individual employers, companies that work on the Brown campus are not-considered on-campus employers even if the work is done on the Brown campus.

Part-time vs. Full-time

Part-time = 20 hours per week or fewer
During the specific begin and end dates of the semester as listed in the official academic calendar, students are limited to 20 hours per week or fewer. Exceeding the limit on employment hours is considered a violation of your F-1 immigration status.
Full-time = 20 hours per week or more
Students may work more than 20 hours per week during the winter and summer breaks. It is important that students pay attention to the specific start and end dates of the winter and summer breaks to make sure they do not exceed the limits of employment hours.

PhD Students

The stipend (in the form of fellowship or assistantships) received by PhD students is considered, for immigration purposes, to be employment and is subject to the above limitations. The stipend is paid at a rate of 20 hours per week. During the academic semester, PhD students cannot pursue any additional on-campus employment.

U.S. immigration regulations define Curricular Practical Training (CPT) as authorized off-campus employment which is an integral or required part of your curriculum and course of study.
OPT is employment authorization designed to provide you with an opportunity to gain practical experience in your field of study, complementing your academic work.