Office of Global Engagement
International Students and Scholars

An O-1 petition may be approved for an initial period of up to three years with the possibility of one year extensions thereafter.

In order for someone in existing O-1 status to qualify for employment at Brown, Brown must have filed a change of employer or concurrent O-1 petition for the incoming employee.  O-1s filed by outside immigration attorneys or agents are often not sufficient for employment at Brown.  Please consult with OISSS before moving forward with your O-1 hire.


To establish that the services of an alien of extraordinary ability are required, the employment must be in a capacity that is appropriate for the person with extraordinary abilities due to the complexity of the project in which the O-1 will play a critical role.

Spouse and Dependent Children

The spouse and dependents of the O-1 are entitled to O-3 classification, and cannot be employed.

Evidence of Sustained National or International Acclaim and Recognition

A petition for an O-1A person of extraordinary ability in the fields of science, education, business, or athletics must be accompanied by evidence of sustained national or international acclaim and recognition for achievements in the field of expertise by providing evidence of:

  • Receipt of a major internationally recognized award, such as the Nobel Prize; or

At least three of the following forms of documentation:

  • Documentation of the beneficiary's receipt of nationally or internationally recognized prizes or awards for excellence in the field of endeavor (university awards not nationally competitive or significant not sufficient);
  • Documentation of the beneficiary's membership in associations in the field for which classification is sought, which require outstanding achievements of their members, as judged by recognized national or international experts in their disciplines or fields (if no outstanding achievement is necessary to be selected for membership, not sufficient);
  • Published material about the beneficiary in professional or major trade publications or other major media, relating to the beneficiary's work in the field for which classification is sought. Such evidence shall include the title, date, and author of the material, and any necessary translation (references in footnotes only are not sufficient);
  • Evidence of the beneficiary's participation, either individually or on a panel, as a judge of the work of others in the same or an allied field of specification for which classification is sought (as reviewer of peer articles, reviewer of grant applications, Ph.D. referee, etc.);
  • Evidence of the beneficiary's original scientific, scholarly, or business-related contributions of major significance in the field;
  • Evidence of the beneficiary's authorship of scholarly articles in the field, in professional journals, or other major media (the more prestigious, the better);
  • Evidence of the display of the beneficiary's work in the field at artistic exhibitions or showcases;
  • Evidence that the beneficiary has been employed in a critical or essential capacity for organizations or establishments that have a distinguished reputation;
  • Evidence that the beneficiary has commanded and now commands a high salary or other remuneration for services, evidenced by contracts or other reliable evidence.
  • Evidence that establishes that the beneficiary is named as an investigator, scientist, or researcher on a peer-reviewed and competitively funded U.S. government grant or stipend for STEM research.


  • Written evidence of consultation with an appropriate peer group, i.e., an association or entity with expertise in that area, and signed by an authorized official of the organization, describing the beneficiary's ability and achievements in the field of endeavor and stating whether the position requires the services of a person of extraordinary ability.

If you believe it will be possible to present sufficient evidence to qualify for sponsorship for the O-1 classification, the sponsoring Brown University department should contact OISSS at 401-863- 2427 to discuss the procedures and to obtain the appropriate materials.