Office of Global Engagement
International Students and Scholars
Familiarize yourself with regulations and authorizations before pursuing paid, unpaid or volunteer work while an F-1 student, and contact OISSS with questions.
Students who are not able to complete their current program by the expected end date because of valid academic or medical reasons, must apply for a program extension with the OISSS.
All F-1 students are required to be enrolled in a full-time course of study every academic semester for the entire length of their academic program.
By taking a leave of absence a student is no longer full-time enrolled and this will affect their F-1 status.
When transferring from one school to another school within the United States, you must carefully follow certain procedures to maintain lawful F-1 status.

Changing Information on the I-20

The Form I-20 details the basic information about your academic program. On page 1, the I-20 indicates the level of your education program (i.e. Bachelors, Masters, Doctoral) and it also indicates the field of study (i.e. program/concentration) you are pursuing at Brown University.

If ever there is a change in this program information, such as a change in your concentration or a move from one degree programs to another (e.g Bachelors to Doctoral, or Doctoral to Masters), you must contact OISSS about this change PRIOR to it going into effect. Some of these changes may require additional documentation submitted to OISSS from the student or the academic department. As a result of the change a new I-20 will be issued with the updated information.