Office of Global Engagement
International Students and Scholars

After April 30, 2013, most Arrival/Departure records will be created electronically upon arrival. Instead of a paper form, the visitor will be provided with an annotated stamp in the foreign passport. If provided a paper form, the admitting CBP Officer generally attaches the I-94 to the visitor's passport and stamps the departure date on the form. 

You will receive an I-94 record every time you enter the United States as a non-citizen.

Entered Via Air or Sea

If you enter the U.S. via air or sea, you will receive an electronic I-94 record, which will include the immigration status into which you were admitted, an admission number and will state the length of time you are allowed to remain in the U.S. in the status listed on the form. 

You should print out a copy of your electronic I-94 record each time you enter the U.S. and placed with your other immigration records. This record can only be obtained after entry to the U.S. If you cannot find your electronic I-94 record or if the information on the record is incorrect, please contact OISSS as soon as possible for assistance.

Admissions Stamp 

For those entering the U.S. in F or J status (including spouses and children on dependent visas) the admission stamp in the passport and the I-94 record (paper or electronic) should indicate:

Class of Admission
F-1, F-2, J-1 or J-2

Length of Stay (Admit Until Date)

For those entering the U.S. in a status other than F or J, the admission stamp in the passport and the I-94 record (paper or electronic) should indicate:

Classification of Admission: 
H-1B, H-4, O-1, O-3, TN, TD, etc.

Length of Stay (Admit Until Date): 
Specific Date (Format: MM/DD/YYYY or YYYY Month DD)

Additional Information

OISSS strongly recommends that students and scholars carry a valid passport, I-94 printout or card, a properly endorsed I-20 or DS-2019 (F-1 or J-1)/I-797 approval notice (H-1b or O-1) and proof of current student enrollment or continuation of scholar appointment when traveling away from the Providence/Boston area.
Confirm visa requirements with the embassies or consulates of other countries and territories before you travel there from the U.S.