Office of Global Engagement
International Students and Scholars

If a student decides to attend another full-time academic program at another U.S. academic institution either after they complete their Brown academic program or during their Brown program, the student must notify OISSS of their intent to transfer their F-1 record. 

Eligibility Requirements

  • Student must currently be in valid F-1 status.
  • The start date at the student's new school must be within 5 months of the “transfer out” date in SEVIS or student's program completion, whichever is earlier. If the period of time between programs is longer than 5 months, the student's SEVIS record cannot be transferred and the student will need to request a new initial I-20 with new SEVIS number from the new institution. 
    • For students authorized for post-completion OPT, the new program start date must be within 5 months of your SEVIS “transfer out” date or the end of the OPT authorization, whichever is earlier. 
  • If student has already graduated and has not applied for post-completion OPT, the student must still be within the 60 day grace period to request a transfer.

Transfer Procedures

Log in to your OISSS Gateway portal to begin the SEVIS Transfer Out request.

Upload the following to the request at least 10 business days before your requested transfer date:

  • Admission letter from new school indicating term of admission
  • Copy of I-94 showing most recent entry to U.S.
  • Transfer-in form of new school (if applicable) 
All F-1 students are required to be enrolled in a full-time course of study every academic semester for the entire length of their academic program.
Students who are not able to complete their current program by the expected end date because of valid academic or medical reasons, must apply for a program extension with the OISSS.
By taking a leave of absence, a student is no longer full-time enrolled and this will affect their J-1 status.