Office of Global Engagement
International Students and Scholars

Requesting J-1 Sponsorship

There are several classifications of the J-1 used at Brown University, which means that processing procedures will vary depending on the appropriate classification.

Some J-1 Exchange Visitors may be subject to what is known as the (212(e)) two-year home residency requirement.
As a J-1 Scholar (professor, researcher, short-term scholar or specialist) your employment and activities in the United States are limited to the position described and the location listed on your DS-2019 form.

Maintaining Legal Status

It is important that you maintain a legal immigration status during your stay here at Brown. OISSS is here as the sole resource on campus dedicated to assisting students in navigating the rules and regulations that allow you to enter the U.S. as a student and govern your immigration status while you pursue your academic program.

In conjunction with various academic, administrative and student life departments on campus, you MUST consult OISSS on any of the following matters*:

  • Full-time enrollment requirements
  • Dropping below full-time enrollment
  • Taking a leave of absence
  • Studying abroad/Study away at another U.S. institution
  • Employment on and off campus
  • Volunteering
  • Needing more time to finish your degree
  • Finishing your degree before the end date on your I-20
  • Changing concentrations or academic programs
  • Starting a new academic program at Brown or at another U.S. school
  • Changes in financial support
  • Transferring to another U.S. school
  • Travel outside of the U.S.

*This is not a complete list of all matter affected by immigration regulations. If you have any questions, please contact OISSS as soon as possible.

J-1 Exchange Visitors may transfer from one designated Exchange Visitor program to another designated Exchange Visitor program if the purpose of the transfer is to complete the objective for which the scholar was initially admitted.
For immigration purposes, dependents are defined as one legally married spouse and/or any unmarried, minor (under age 21) children.