Office of Global Engagement
International Students and Scholars

International Scholars

Brown University's international scholar population is made up of approximately 600 scholars. These scholars include visiting professors, visiting researchers, visiting teaching associates, postdoctoral research associates, faculty, and staff.

There are several immigration categories relating to international scholars.  Please refer to the individual immigration category for a detailed explanation.  If you have specific questions please contact OISSS at 401-863-2427 or

Within several J-1 classifications, J-1 Scholars are generally professors, researchers, short-term scholars or specialists.
The J-1 Student Intern category is available to international students currently enrolled in and pursuing a degree at a postsecondary academic institution outside the United States whose U.S. internship will fulfill the educational objectives for a current degree program at their home institution.
The H-1B visa classification is for full-time teaching, research  or staff appointments for the duration of a period of proposed employment for which secure funding is available.  
The O-1 visa is an employment based classification that applies to an individual who has extraordinary ability in the sciences, education, or business which has been demonstrated by sustained national or international acclaim and who is coming to the U.S. to work in the area of extraordinary ability. The individual must have “risen to the top of their field.”
Qualified Canadian and Mexican citizens may seek temporary admission to the U.S. under the provisions of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) to engage in activities at a professional level in one of the professions or occupations listed in the NAFTA treaty.  
Visitors that are coming to Brown for a very short period; usually anywhere from a day to a week.  These visitors may come to participate in a conference or give a lecture and possibly receive an honorarium.