Office of Global Engagement
International Students and Scholars

Canada, Mexico and Adjacent Islands

Due to our close proximity, travel to Canada, Mexico and the adjacent islands is common among international students and scholars. Prior to traveling to these destinations, students and scholars should check with the embassies or consulates of these countries/territories to determine if a specific visa is required. Please see the below links. 

Automatic Revalidation of an Expired Visa

If a student or scholar in lawful immigration status, plans to travel to Canada, Mexico or Adjacent Islands (except for Cuba), for less than 30 days, but has an expired US visa, he/she may be able to return to the U.S. by automatically revalidating the expired visa. 

Students and scholars should check with OISSS prior to departure to discuss eligibility and documentation for automatic revalidation.

Other Countries

Other countries may require a visa and/or immunizations to enter their country. Additional travel information provided by the Department of State and the Centers for Disease Control can be found at the below links. Before your departure, contact the nearest consulate or embassy of the country(ies) you plan to visit and the consulate of your home country in the country(ies) you intend to visit to determine any visa requirements and obtain information about other resources. 

Additional Information

The I-94 is the Arrival / Departure Record, in either paper or electronic format, issued by a Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Officer to foreign visitors entering the United States. 
OISSS strongly recommends that students and scholars carry a valid passport, I-94 printout or card, a properly endorsed I-20 or DS-2019 (F-1 or J-1)/I-797 approval notice (H-1b or O-1) and proof of current student enrollment or continuation of scholar appointment when traveling away from the Providence/Boston area.