International students in F-1 status are required to complete their academic program by the expected program end date noted on their Form I-20. Students who are not able to complete their current program by the expected end date because of valid academic or medical reasons, must apply for a program extension with the OISSS no later than 30 days prior to the expiration of their current immigration document.
Extension of F-1 Status
Students who are not able to complete their current program by the expected end date because of valid academic or medical reasons, must apply for a program extension with the OISSS.
- You must be in lawful F-1 status.
- You must have maintained full-time status each semester of your current program.
- Delays in completing your studies must not be caused by academic probation or suspension.
- Must be able to document funding available that is sufficient to cover the cost of tuition and fees, living expenses and the cost of health insurance for length of the extension (up to one year).
- If you are requesting an extension due to a medical condition, you need to provide a letter from licensed medical doctor, doctor of osteopathy, or licensed clinical psychologist which substantiates the illness or medical condition.
Login to your OISSS Gateway portal to begin the Extension request.
You will need to upload evidence of your funding for the additional time in student status and request that your academic advisor confirm your new program end date.
- Evidence of University funding
- Graduate students: if you are funded by your department, the department administrator should provide a letter confirming the new estimated date of completion and stating the terms of your funding; for example, that you have been awarded a research assistantship equal to a specific dollar amount plus tuition, fees and health insurance coverage per academic year.
- Undergraduate students: provide a copy of your scholarship/financial aid award letter.
- Evidence of personal funding
- If some or all of your funding is from personal, family or other sources, attach original bank letters or bank statements bearing an official stamp or signature of a bank official or sponsor. If the accounts are not in your name, please attach a signed letter from the account holder verifying that these funds will be available to cover the expenses associated with your studies.
Please allow 10 business days for OISSS to process your I-20 extension once all components are submitted.