Office of Global Engagement
International Students and Scholars

Higher Educational Opportunities

Certain dependent immigration classifications do not allow for full-time study for spouses and/or may have age limitations for dependent children pursuing a full-time courses of study. Please discuss with OISSS any plans for dependents (spouse and/or children) to pursue higher education programs.

Child Educational and Childcare Opportunities

If you have a dependent child between the ages of 6 and 16 with you while you are in the U.S. they are required by Law to attend school. If you have dependents who will be attending school in the U.S., be sure to bring birth certificates or proof of age and all medical, dental, and academic records for those dependents (if these documents are not in English a certified translation of each document will be required).*

There are three levels of education that children move through (Kindergarten through 12th grade)

  1. Elementary School (grades K to 5, ages 5-10)
  2. Middle school or junior high school (grade 6 to 8, ages 11-13)
  3. High school (grades 9 to 12, ages 14-18)

If you have a dependent child and you are living in the City of Providence, you may want to enroll your child in Providence Public Schools. Public Schools are usually free of charge, co-educational, and funded primarily through city and state taxes. 

There are several private schools within the state of RI. Unlike public schools, private schools require that you pay a fee for your child to attend their school.

Children Under School Age

If you have a dependent child that has not yet reached school age and you need someone to care for your child while you are teaching, researching or studying at Brown during the day, you may want to enroll your child in a daycare program. Almost all daycare facilities in the U.S. require you to pay a fee. DCFY and The Daycare Resource Connection will assist you in finding a daycare provider in the state of Rhode Island. There are also child care facilities affiliated with Brown University.

Volunteer Opportunities

If your spouse would like to volunteer his/her time with a local organization in Rhode Island please visit VolunteerMatch and Serve Rhode Island to search for an organization that meets your interest.