Office of Global Engagement
International Students and Scholars

Students are eligible for this category only if they are supported substantially by funding from any source other than personal or family funds (e.g. government or university funding), or participating in a approved exchange program between Brown University and non-U.S. academic or research institution.

If you will be applying for or are currently in the U.S. with a J-1 visa sponsored by an institution (i.e. IIE, VRF, LASPAU, etc.) other than Brown, please contact that institution for further information regarding your immigration status and responsibilities. 

Employment for international students with J-1 status is highly regulated and prior authorization for paid, unpaid or volunteer work is essential.
For an extension to your J-1 status, you must apply 30 days prior to the expiration of your current immigration document.
For immigration purposes, dependents are defined as one legally married spouse and/or any unmarried, minor (under age 21) children.
All J-1 students are required to be enrolled in a full-time course of study every academic semester for the entire length of their academic program
By taking a leave of absence, a student is no longer full-time enrolled and this will affect their J-1 status.
When transferring from one school to another school within the United States, you must carefully follow certain procedures to maintain lawful J-1 status.

Changing Information on the DS-2019

The Form DS-2019 details the basic information about your academic program. In section #4 the DS-2019 indicates the level of your education program (i.e. Bachelors, Masters, Doctoral) and it also indicates the field of study (i.e. program/concentration) you are pursuing at Brown University in same section.

When an undergraduate student changes their concentration there will be an update on the DS-2019. J-1 students will need to contact OISSS when they declare their concentration and/or if there are more than one concentration.

Graduate students cannot change their fields of study and can only change their level of study by moving to a higher educational level (e.g. Masters to Doctorate). Graduate students cannot change from one academic program to another and cannot change to a lower degree level.

For any questions regarding a change in the field of study or educational level, contact OISSS.