Office of Global Engagement
International Students and Scholars

If a student decides to attend another full-time academic program at another U.S. academic institution either after they complete their Brown academic program or during their Brown program, the student must notify OISSS of their intent to transfer their J-1 record. 


  • Student must currently be in valid J-1 status
  • MUST be maintaining same academic objective (same field of study)
  • MUST have requested transfer prior to end of program or academic activity
  • Must inform the OISSS of intent to transfer (see instructions below). 

Transfer Procedures

Log in to your OISSS Gateway portal to begin the SEVIS Transfer Out request.

Upload the following to the request at least 10 business days before your requested transfer date:

  • Admission letter from new school indicating term of admission
  • I-94 record showing most recent entry to U.S.
  • Transfer-in form from other school (if applicable) 
For an extension to your J-1 status, you must apply 30 days prior to the expiration of your current immigration document.
All J-1 students are required to be enrolled in a full-time course of study every academic semester for the entire length of their academic program
By taking a leave of absence, a student is no longer full-time enrolled and this will affect their J-1 status.