Office of Global Engagement
International Students and Scholars

Employment in the U.S. is highly regulated by immigration and employment law and regulations, and it can often be confusing for students in J-1 status to navigate the regulatory limitations. It is essential that when a student is considering paid, unpaid employment or volunteer positions that they be familiar with the rules and contact OISSS with any questions. Also, J-1 students must ensure that they have the appropriate work authorization prior to pursuing any employment activity, paid or unpaid. 

J-1 students in good academic standing may be eligible for employment authorization in the form of Academic Training for a period of up to 18 months or the length their program, whichever is shorter.