Office of Global Engagement
International Students and Scholars

The U.S. Department of State authorizes OISSS to issue and maintain the J-1 immigration record for eligible foreign visitors on behalf of Brown University. OISSS is the only office at Brown University that can issue or make any changes to these records. The official document issued from these J-1 records is the Form DS-2019. 

All J-1 DS-2019 Requests must be received by the OISSS at least 3 months in advance of the requested start date. 

Sponsorship in these J-1 categories is available to international visitors who have the minimum of the equivalent of a bachelor’s degree and academic credentials and experience in the field they will be associated with at Brown.
Visiting Research Fellow (VRF) Appointments are available to international students currently enrolled in and pursuing a graduate degree at a postsecondary academic institution. The research they will pursue at Brown will be for their current graduate degree at their home institution.