Office of Global Engagement
International Students and Scholars

If any clinical work will be done by the incoming visitor or employee, Brown cannot sponsor the visa. The immigration document issued by OISSS for J-1 eligible visitors or employees is called a Form DS-2019.

All J-1 DS-2019 Requests must be received by the OISSS at least 3 months in advance of the requested start date. Some visa applications may be subject to additional Administrative Processing.

J-1 Request Forms

Please type or print your form to avoid errors and make sure the information is 100% accurate and matches the information on the scholar's passport. Permanent Residency of dependent(s) is a mandatory field in SEVIS, so please add the information in the request form and if different from the country of citizenship, provide document evidence.

Department J-1 Request Form
To be completed by Department

Scholar J-1 Request Form
To be completed by Scholar

J-1 Extension Request Form
To be completed by both Scholar and Department

Step 1

For any request (new or extension), Hospital departments should submit the following to:

BioMed Faculty Administration (BMFA) at 

  1. Complete the appropriate J-1 Request Form(s) and send the Department Request Form to the Department Chairperson, Division Director and/or Sponsor for approval.
  2. Letter/memo from the Department Chairperson or Division Director recommending the Brown University appointment.
  3. Copy of the biographical page of the Exchange Visitor’s passport.
  4. Proof of Funding/Financial Support
  5. Copy of the Exchange Visitor’s CV or resume.
  6. English Language Proficiency Verification.
  7. Any other applicable documentation as per the list in the J-1 Request Forms.

Application Notes

  • BMFA will issue the appointment letter and send it to the department. The department then needs to forward the request to once the appointment letter has been accepted by the scholar.
  • All Brown University paid postdoctoral appointments in the field of Biology and Medicine should submit the appropriate DS-2019 Request Form(s) to the Associate Dean of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies, Box G A-219; fax 401-863-2660.
  • If the program is funded by the Exchange Visitor’s government, other organizations or by the individual, a letter of award or a financial statement should be attached with the request form for review.

Step 2

When OISSS receives the documents from the department, it will review the request and once all follow up is complete, will issue the DS-2019. Please allow up to 3 weeks to complete the Form DS-2019.  Plan ahead and leave sufficient time for processing.

Step 3

When Form DS-2019 is returned and printed, OISSS will send the appropriate documents to the hospital address listed on the request form.  The department is responsible for sending the DS-2019 documentation to the Exchange Visitor.

Additional Information

  • The Exchange Visitor and the Department should pay close attention to the end date on the Form DS-2019 issued for Exchange Visitors. Extensions must be completed before the expiration date in DS-2019. Please do not wait until the last minute to request an extension.
  • If the Exchange Visitor will not arrive in the U.S. within 30 days of their anticipated J-1 start date (as listed on the DS-2019), you must notify OISSS immediately. OISSS will need to amend the J-1 start date in their SEVIS record accordingly. Failure to do so will result in termination of their J-1 status.
  • Please remind your visitor that upon arrival all Brown University international students and exchange visitors are required to register at the Office of International Student and Scholar Services within 5 business days of arrival on campus. Failure to do so could result in violation of status.
  • All J-1 Exchange Visitors and J-2 dependents are required to have health insurance that meets the J-1 minimum requirements for the entire length of time they are in J- status. Exchange visitors in J-1 and J-2 status who do not maintain adequate health insurance are considered in violation and can be subject to termination of their J status. If a J-1 scholar is not eligible for Lifespan health insurance they will need to purchase a plan that meets the minimum requirements for J Exchange Visitors. Brown University offers a plan through Gallagher (Inbound) that exceeds the minimum requirements for J Exchange Visitor.