Once You Arrive
What you should do within the first week of your arrival.
All students attending Brown University in F-1 or J-1 status are required to complete an online check-in process with OISSS within 3 business days of their arrival on campus.
Please do not delay this process as it might result in unnecessary complications with respect to ID card issuance and payroll. Also, U.S. regulations require students to confirm their arrival at a new university within 30 days of the program start date listed on Form I-20/DS-2019. Failure to check-in constitutes a violation of your nonimmigrant status.
Please have the following available as electronic files when completing the online check-in form:
- Passport ID page
- I-20/DS-2019 (signed by the student)
- I-94 record OR I-94 card (little white card issued by immigration officer for those crossing a land border).
- If applicable provide the same documentation for any dependents who were issued Forms I-20/DS-2019.
Log in to your OISSS Gateway portal to begin the New Student Registration request after you arrive in the U.S.
- Refer to the Your First Days at Brown checklist for additional check-in instructions and information.
- Get your Brown ID Card.
- Check in with other departments on campus that may be expecting to meet with you (i.e. your sponsoring department, Graduate School, BioMed Office of Postdoctoral and Graduate Studies, Brown Business Center (BBC) etc.).