Office of Global Engagement
International Students and Scholars
September 7, 2023

OISSS Announcements & Reminders (for J1/H1b Scholars)

News & Alert

Here are some important reminders and updates from the Office of International Student and Scholar Services (OISSS):


OISSS Operating Remotely on Fridays 


Starting September 8th, please note that OISSS will operate remotely on Fridays and the office in Page-Robinson Hall (Suite 420) will be closed for walk-ins. However, OISSS team members remain readily accessible through email, Zoom, and phone. If you need assistance or wish to schedule an appointment, please don't hesitate to reach out.




When entering the U.S., you must present a printed J-1  DS-2019/H-1B Approval Notice, along with a valid passport with J-1 or H-1B visa to a U.S. customs officer to be admitted to the U.S. in J-1 or H-1B status, as applicable. DO NOT use a nexus or global entry self-check kiosk to enter the U.S. Upon re-entry to the U.S., check your most recent I-94 arrival record  to confirm that you have been re-admitted in J-1 or H-1B status and what your ‘Admit Until’ date is listed as.

J-1 Scholars have the added necessity of ensuring they have a valid travel signature on their DS-2019.  If you require a travel signature for your re-entry to the U.S., please come by or contact our office in advance of your departure.  Travel signatures can be provided physically or electronically.



Incidental Employment

Please be reminded that for all J-1 Scholars, authorization from OISSS is required in order to engage in any type of compensated activity outside of Brown University or the Hospital where you work.  Authorization for incidental employment must be requested and granted prior to the activity, therefore, please remember to send the required documentation to your J-1 advisor in a timely manner.

H-1B Scholars may not engage in work outside of their employment at Brown. Unless USCIS approval for a “concurrent’ H-1B through another employer has been received, you may not work elsewhere. Although you are permitted to make occasional speeches and give lectures at other institutions or conferences, under the H-1B category, you are not allowed to receive honorarium payments of any sort. However, you may be reimbursed for receipted “transportation and reasonable, incidental expenses” incurred in connection with travel to other institutions or conferences.


Best wishes for a productive fall.